Earl Grey was founded in 1919 by Major Duncan Stuart, a practicing city lawyer, who organized a group of people interested in playing golf. The original course, which consisted of five holes, was located on land leased from the C.P.R., south of and adjacent to the Earl Grey Public School in the Mount Royal district. By June 1922, there were eighty-five members and the course had expanded to nine holes.
During the late 1920's the course was expanded to eighteen holes, but due to the demand for residential building lots, the course was moved to a new location in south Mount Royal. Within two years, the Club was again forced to look for a new location, and in 1932, a twenty-year lease was negotiated with the City of Calgary for the present site. An eighteen hole, sand green course, designed by member Philip Boese, was built and opened in 1933 with Golf Pro Bill Leonard.
In the 1950's course additions and renovations were made and the new Lakeview Nine was started. Our present clubhouse was finished and opened in August of 1962.
1991 brought major renovations to hole numbers 3, 10 and 15. Hole number 10 was changed with the addition of a new trap and completely new green. Holes number 3 and 15 were rebuilt with new greens and two new ponds to add scenic beauty and player interest.
From the modest five-prairie grass course of 1919 to the present picturesque eighteen hole competitive course, Earl Grey has come a long way, now boasting over twenty five hundred trees, immaculate greens and a profusion of colour in the flower beds. We intend to follow the example of past generations and keep on making things better where we can; several improvements to the course and the clubhouse are planned over the next few years.
Earl Grey has hosted a number of prestigious golf events over the years including:
- VIPOND Charity Golf Classic - 1979-2016
- 65 Roses Charity Ladies Golf Classic - 1990-2016
- Heritage Park Foundation Golf Classic - 2009-2016
- Alberta PGA Club Pro Championship - 2010
- Calgary City Medalist - 2009
- Alberta Ladies Amateur Championship - 2008,2013
- Calgary Ladies Amateur - 2003
- Alberta PGA Ladies & Seniors Championships - 1999
- Alberta Jr Boys Championship - 1953, 1955, 1961, 1981, 1998
- Canadian Senior Ladies Championship - 1997
- Alberta Mid Amateur Championship - 1989
- Alberta Men's Amateur Championship - 1953, 1955, 1959, 1965, 1978, 1986
- Canadian Jr Girls Championship - 1984
- Peter Jackson Champions (Senior PGA) - 1983
- Canadian Amateur Championship - 1972
MEN'S COURSE RECORD
|Eric Allard||66||Junior Club Championship||August 22, 2008|
|Scott McNeil||66||Men's Club Championship||August 2, 2003|
LADIES COURSE RECORD
|Jocelyn Alford||69||Ladies Club Championship||August 2, 2010|
|Maureen Blair||69||Ladies Club Championship||August 2, 2008|